Monday, 2 May 2011

Love you ZERO

So I had  read this article somewhere long time back...loved it...saved it and like every time I lost it somewhere! 
Suddenly  I got reminded of this one, two days back and wanted to read it again and BINGO!-I found it!
IT GOES LIKE THIS-  


Being a boyfriend is probably world’s toughest job, one needs to be good at everything to get one, and grow at it! I don’t know how I fit into Annika's requirement, but I have been with her since past two years. I have given numerous tests with her since then, a test in geography in remembering all those places where her parents cant catch us dating, a test in history in remembering all those (stupid) anniversaries, a test in chemistry so that she finds me compatible, a test in arts in recognizing the difference between million shades of nail polish and clothes so that she doesn’t have a duplicate of something when I gift her, finding the right gift is another test..... a test in anger management to handle her mood swings, a test in time management so that she feels she is the most important thing in my life, a test of patience each time we go out shopping, the list is endless! I have probably grabbed enough marks in most of them, that’s why even after two years she is still with me. There is however one test which has always stumped me, that’s maths! It’s impossible to believe how someone who scored 95/100 in his board’s paper can flunk at maths here, but it’s true. Then again 'How much do you love me?' is no ordinary simple equation problem, had Einstein or Newton ever considered finding answer to this question for their wives they would still be only searching for the solution and would probably not even be remotely close, even if they worked together! I have been asked this most difficult question several times, and never have I been able to answer it satisfactorily, although I manage to dodge it smartly and quickly switch to some other topic. Today however it was not going to work....

On that rare cloudy Tuesday, me and Annika were sitting beneath the tree in front of our Drawing hall, that’s our favourite place in the college campus! We have bunked several classes together and sat there without realizing how many hours have passed. The electricity had gone, and the classroom becomes unbearable in the summers without the fan. That only gave us one more reason to bunk the chemistry lecture and sit under the tree, the weather was generous that day, the sun was calmer than usual, the sky was cloudy and a cool breeze was blowing, which we would have otherwise missed in the classroom. Annika was looking beautiful as always, I could sit with her forever just looking at her and admiring her thick straight shoulder length burgundy hair, her deep brown eyes, her dimples and her beautiful smile which makes this world the best place to live in. But there was not going to be any time for that today, we had had a fight last night and there was no chance she would let me admire the way she looks or even the weather for that matter. I was prepared to face the music that is what a good boyfriend always does when his girlfriend is wrong! I had my face down and was waiting for her to start so that it can end as soon as possible, so that I can get back to teasing her and loving her. When she did not start off, I looked up, her eyes looked deeper than usually and the water was ready to flood. It was like someone had sounded an alarm in my head, I had switched to disaster recovery mode, and that is when she looked at me and decided to take the math test again.

How much do you love me Aryan?

An earthquake had jolted my world, as if the flood was not enough. I put my brain and all my senses to overdrive, I was speechless, I was not prepared for this. I stammered and said something I don’t even remember, my mind and my mouth were hardly in sync at that moment.

She turned away, it’s strange how she distances herself from me when I am helpless like that. She only got angrier I don’t know if it was for the fight or because I could not answer her. Annika said “Aryan you do all these things, I don’t think you even love me.”

I was again “......ahhh......ehhh.”

I was going through what she had said, and that’s the moment when even Einstein and Newton would have obliged before me, it just struck me the answer to universe, life and everything was right there before me in the question itself.

Yes, Annika it’s true, I don’t love you, I said trying to be a little stern in my voice.

She was surprised, it was definitely not something she had expected! She tried to say “yes I know it Aryan Sharma and that is why you...”

I interrupted in between, after all I had not finished, I had not even started for that matter! I continued in a strong voice “... I love you 0 Annika.” The voice turned softer as I went on “It’s your love that surrounds me, the way 0 surrounds its centre, its you who is the centre of my world just like zero unlike any other number has a centre. I am sorry I don’t love you like the infinite vastness of skies the way the other boy friends do, because I am too committed to you. You are my only world baby and I am sorry Annika but I don’t think I can love you any more than 0!” I had an innocent smile on my face as I finished.

A moment or two passed, and she turned back at me, the eyes still pouring slightly, but that beautiful smile was back on her face, I felt like Alexander...I had conquered the world, and it felt ecstatic to see her smile again. She hugged me and I held her in my arms, whispering slowly in her ears I love you baby, I am sorry, I love you! I grabbed her face, and moved my hand to wipe the pearl like tears off her face, kissed her on her forehead, she smiled again... and mild sun rays came out of the clouds!

No matter how many tests she makes me give, no matter how much I have to adjust and bear with her, It all feels worth it when she gives me a smile, when I see that twinkle in her eyes. I wish I can shield her from all the sadness in this world, always be happy Annika, Always smile for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment